On this page:
District 1 – City of Hudson – Hudson Central Fire Station (77 N. 7th St, Hudson)
District 2 – Greenport, Stottville/Stockport, Ghent – Greenport Community Center (500 Town Hall Dr, Hudson)
District 3 – Claverack, Livingston, Taghkanic – A.B. Shaw Fire House (67 NY-23, Claverack)
*Please note the new polling location for District 1 (formerly John L. Edwards Primary School). This change was made due to the closure of JLE and approved by the Board of Education on February 11, 2019. The Hudson Central Fire Station meets all the Federal ADA requirements and has ample parking. This change is only for the annual School District Budget Vote and Election held in May each year. For General Elections, please confirm your polling location with the Columbia County Board of Elections at 518-828-3115.
To be eligible to vote, you must be:
- A U.S. citizen 18 years of age or older;
- A primary resident of the Hudson City School District for a period of 30 days or more directly preceding the day of the vote;
- Registered to vote with either the School District or the Columbia County Board of Elections;
- Not otherwise ineligible to vote under Section 5-106 of the Election Law.
If you have not previously registered and would like to vote in this referendum, you must register with the School District Board of Registration.
Register to vote during the HCSD Voter Registration Event on Thursday, April 27, 2023 from 4-8 p.m. in the new gym at M.C. Smith Elementary School. Please bring photo identification.
You can also register to vote at any time by submitting a completed voter registration form to the Columbia County Board of Elections (401 State Street, Hudson, NY 12534).
Deadline for voter registration: Tuesday, May 2, 2023
If you are not able to vote in person on the date of the budget vote and school board election, you can apply for an absentee ballot. Voters may obtain an absentee ballot only if, during all hours of the day of the vote, they are:
- absent from the county of his or her residence; or
- unable to appear at the polling place because of illness (including the potential of contraction of the virus that causes COVID-19) or physical disability, or duties related to the primary care of one or more individuals who are ill or physically disabled, or because he or she will be or is a patient in a hospital; or
- an inmate or patient of a veteran’s administration hospital; or
- absent from his or her voting residence because he or she is detained in jail awaiting action by a grand jury or awaiting trial, or confined in jail or prison after a conviction for an offense other than a felony, provided that he or she is qualified to vote in the election district of his or her residence.
Applications for absentee ballots will be available on March 31, 2023. Applications can be obtained at the office of the District Clerk, Tracy Gaffney, Hudson City School District, District Offices, 215 Harry Howard Avenue, Hudson, New York 12534. Tracy Gaffney, District Clerk, can be reached at 518-828-4360 ext. 2101 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Monday-Friday).
- If the ballot is to be mailed to the voter, the completed application must be received by the District Clerk no later than 4 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on May 9, 2023 (seven  days before the budget vote & election).
- If the ballot is to be picked up personally by the voter, the completed application must be received by the District Clerk no later than 4 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on May 15, 2023 (one  day before the budget vote & election).
A list of all persons to whom absentee ballots shall have been issued shall be available for public inspection in the office of the District Clerk during regular office hours (8 a.m. to 4 p.m.) on each of the five (5) days prior to the day of the vote, (May 9-15, 2023, excluding Saturday and Sunday).
Completed absentee ballots must reach the office of the District Clerk no later than 4 p.m. on Tuesday, May 16, 2023 (the day of the budget vote & election). Tracy Gaffney, District Clerk, will be in the office until 4 p.m. on the day of the vote to receive ballots.