Kindergarten Screening

Kindergarten screenings have been postponed until further notice due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. The dates on this page are subject to change. When a new kindergarten screening schedule is determined, parents will be notified.

Beginning in April 2020, we will be conducting screenings for students entering kindergarten in September 2020. Children must be five years of age or older on or before December 1, 2020 to be eligible to enter kindergarten this coming fall. Students must also reside within the Hudson City School District.

Make an Appointment

Please use this Kindergarten Screening Appointment Form (PDF) to let us know your preferences for a screening date and return to the Montgomery C. Smith Elementary School main office as soon as possible. Screenings will take place on the following dates:

  • Tuesday, April 14, 2020 from 12-6 p.m. (postponed)
  • Wednesday, April 15, 2020 from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. (postponed)
  • Thursday, April 16, 2020 from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. (postponed)
  • Friday, May 22, 2020 from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. (to be determined)

All attempts will be made to honor your first choice, however the screening slots fill up quickly and the date/time of your choice may be full if you delay. Please contact the MCSES main office at 518-828-4360, ext. 1113, if you have any questions.

Required Documentation

In addition to the Screening, you must also “Register” your child for Kindergarten. A registration packet, complete with instructions, was mailed to parents/guardians along with the screening appointment form. Please return the completed packet, including the supporting documentation, as soon as possible. You will need the following documents to register your child for kindergarten:

  • Completed registration packet
  • Your child’s birth certificate
  • Proof of residency (such as a utility bill, lease, or notorized letter from a landlord)
  • Parent/guardian photo identification (such as a driver’s license or state-issued ID card)
  • Custody documents (if applicable)
  • Proof of up-to-date immunizations (visit our Health Office page for immunization information)

Questions? Contact the MCSES main office at 518-828-4360, ext. 1113.