Dear Parents and Guardians:
As required by the federal Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) of 2015, Grades 3-8 English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics Assessments are administered to students across New York State each spring. For a few hours on each testing day, all students in Grades 3-8 will take the state ELA and Math assessments, unless modifications from IEP’s or 504’s state otherwise. In addition, students in Grades 4 and 8 will be administered the NYS Science Assessment. Over the course of the school year, teachers have been embedding different instructional strategies into their lessons to help prepare our students for the assessments.
At the Hudson City School District, we believe in preparing our students for college, career, and citizenship, so “WHY” should students participate in our assessments and “WHAT” data do we receive from these assessments?
- Performance on assessments helps teachers to better understand how well students are learning what is being taught.
- Trends from the data collected can help the school, district, and state education leaders determine what is and is not working well and adjust curriculum accordingly.
- Results help parents learn about their children’s academic achievements.
- Achievement gaps that may be forming among different student populations can be identified and addressed to ensure that all students are successful in school.
- Students gain valuable experience in test taking, which is an important skill to have for success on High School Regents exams, college entry tests, and professional exams.
We ask that you encourage your child to do their best when taking these assessments. Please refer to the Assessment Schedule for specific dates related to each content area. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your child’s participation in these assessments, please feel free to call your building principal or my office.
Dr. April Prestipino, Assistant Superintendent for School Improvement
2022 Assessment Schedule
|English Language Arts||Tuesday, March 29 & Wednesday, March 30|
|Mathematics||Tuesday, April 26 & Wednesday, April 27|
|Science Performance Assessment||Anytime between May 24 and June 3|
|Science Written Assessment||Monday, June 6|