Membership in the National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) is one of the highest honors that can be awarded to a junior high school student in recognizing the individual.
The following criteria will be used to identify potential applicants:
- 87 average cumulative GPA. This is a cumulative average and according to the handbook a “no grade below “ standard goes against the idea of a cumulative GPA.
- Students should be in good standing with disciplinary referrals. It is preferred that the student has no referrals the year of selection and thereafter , but the faculty committee does reserve the right to review individual candidate discipline records if they meet the areas of Scholarship, Leadership, Service, and Citizenship.
When students are initially selected they must:
- Complete and return the candidate application form.
- Faculty council will review the forms in the areas of Scholarship, Leadership, Service, Citizenship. In this process, classroom behaviors, discipline records, and contributions to the school community will be reviewed along with cumulative GPA.
- All students who meet the requirements will be inducted upon application review. According to the NJHS handbook, if a quota needs to be enforced, the chapter will consider raising the Cumulative GPA.
- Faculty will review applicants and select those to be inducted.
Policy on Special Education Students:
Students who have disabilities should be included in the application process. They will be given applications based on the above criteria. If a student meets the criteria above, and is on track to take NYS Regents Exams in the future, they will be eligible for chapter membership. If a student is not on track to take Regents Exams in the future they must also be considered for honorary membership. According to the handbook, “NHS honorary membership is available to students who represent the ideals of the NHS, but who are disqualified from consideration through no fault of their own”. These students will be selected using the criteria above in addition to teacher recommendation and interest forms.
Induction to the NJHS will not be based on any bias factors. All students regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, or ethnicity shall be held to the same standards of scholarship, leadership, character and service.
- Students must maintain the GPA of 87 or above.
- Students must attend chapter meetings.
- Students should participate in service projects and log their hours.
- Continue to meet the standards of leadership and citizenship.