Dec. 15, 2023
Dear Hudson City School District Families,
With winter break quickly approaching, the wellbeing of our school community continues to be a top priority. We understand the holidays can be overwhelming, so we want to share five simple, yet effective, strategies from STOPit Solutions to support your family’s mental well-being. These may seem basic, but they can have a significant impact on overall health.
- Identify and Acknowledge Needs: Encourage your children to understand and express their needs. This practice can reduce attention-seeking behaviors, restlessness, and emotional outbursts.
- Get Outside and Get Moving: Aim for at least 30 minutes of outdoor activity daily. Activities like family walks, sledding, or playground visits are not only fun but also crucial for mood regulation and stress reduction.
- Make Time for Sleep: Help your children establish a healthy sleep routine to ensure they are well-rested. Lack of sleep can lead to irritability, forgetfulness, and unhealthy eating habits.
- Practice Self-Compassion: Talk kindly, fix what you can, and remember that everyone makes mistakes. Offering support towards children when they identify difficult feelings, make mistakes, or struggle can build their resilience and create a positive environment for growth.
- Download the STOPit app: If you or a family member is struggling, download the STOPit app to immediately text with a counselor. The STOPit app is available 24/7 and is FREE for all families. There are more than 4,000 trained counselors online, day and night, who want to help. Click the Crisis Text Line button on the STOPit App to be connected with a counselor.
Getting Started with STOPit:
- Download the STOPit app from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
- Select your school from the dropdown menu.
- Accept the Terms & Conditions.
We wish you and your family a safe & healthy winter break!
Dr. Juliette Pennyman
Superintendent of Schools
Hudson City School District #HudsonTogetherWeCan