April 21, 2023
4-21-23 Letter from Board of Education President to Staff and Families
Dear Hudson City School District community,
I am writing to inform you that our Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Lisamarie Spindler, has announced that she will resign from her position effective June 30.
The Board of Education will appoint an interim superintendent shortly, and will begin a comprehensive search this summer to find the next permanent superintendent. Community input will be vital during this process; more details will be shared in the future as we weigh this important decision.
Dr. Spindler has served as our Superintendent since February, 2022, and the Board of Education thanks her for all she has accomplished. She has:
- Developed a strategic plan for our district. This roadmap provides clear direction for the district’s future.
- Engaged the Board of Education in developing and adopting a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) policy.
- Created new programs for students in Early College and Career and Technical Education (CTE), which has provided our students with valuable career pathways and experiences.
- Launched a Saturday Academy for families and scholars, which advances academic achievement and fosters stronger relationships between our families and the district.
- Joined the League of Innovative Schools, enabling collaboration with other districts while learning about best practices in education.
- Partnered with local nonprofits and community agencies to provide wrap-around services, which has helped to address the needs of our most vulnerable students and families.
- Partnered with the local community college for our Acceptance for All initiative, which has provided all of our students with access to higher education.
- Presented a district budget to the Board of Education and community with no increase in the tax levy. That accomplishment demonstrates our school district’s fiscal responsibility and commitment to financial transparency.
We also thank Dr. Spindler for staying through the end of June to ensure a smooth conclusion of the school year and transition of leadership. We wish her well in all that she does.
I am attaching Dr. Spindler’s Letter of Resignation to us, which she has permitted us to share with you.
Selecting a Superintendent of Schools is the most important action a Board of Education takes, and we are committed to ensuring we find and choose the best educational leader to guide us forward. Again, our community’s partnership in this matter will be invaluable. More details on how to contribute will be provided in the weeks and months ahead.
Willette Jones, President
Board of Education
Hudson City School District