UPDATE January 6, 2021 – See answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ) about COVID-19 testing in schools.
Dear HCSD Families,
I would like to thank all of you for the ongoing support you have shown during the many challenges and changes that have occurred this year. As a District, we are committed to doing everything we can to continue to offer in-person instruction in a safe and responsible manner.
Last month, we shared information about Governor Cuomo’s micro-cluster strategy regarding color coded zones. In order for our schools to remain open, the District will be required to test specific percentages of in-person students, teachers, and staff for COVID-19 if any part of our school community is designated as a yellow, orange, or red zone. It is important to note that Hudson City is NOT currently in one of these zones. We are, however, working with the Columbia County Department of Health and Questar III BOCES to be ready if any part of our community is labeled as a zone. Governor Cuomo recently announced updated zone designation metrics, which are listed below for your reference:
- A Yellow Zone is a geographic area (zip code, census tract, etc.) with a 3% positivity rate over the past 10 days AND the cluster is in the top 10% for hospital admissions per capita over the past week and week-over-week growth in daily admissions.
- An Orange Zone is a geographic area (zip code, census tract, etc.) with 4% positivity rate over the past 10 days AND 85% hospital capacity OR the Department of Health determines unacceptably high rate of hospital admissions.
- A Red Zone is a geographic area (zip code, census tract, etc.) that is 21 days from 90% hospital capacity.
To help us prepare for testing should our area be designated in one of the above color zones, please consider giving consent for school-based COVID-19 testing by filling out this consent form by Friday, January 15, 2021 (the form is available in multiple languages below).
- English Student Consent for COVID-19 Rapid Test
- Arabic موافقة الطالب على إجراءالفحصالسريعلفيروسكورونا املستجد
- Bengali ক োভিড-19 রয োভিড কেস্টের জন্য ভিক্ষোর্থীস্টের সম্মভি
- Spanish Consentimiento del estudiante para la prueba rápida COVID-19
Families of students who are learning 100% virtually do not need to fill out this form. If you consent, your child may be randomly selected to receive a free COVID-19 Rapid Test. Please note that these tests are non-invasive and are not the deep-swab procedures performed at medical facilities. If your child is randomly selected for in-school testing, you will be notified of the test date and the result.
Testing is not mandatory, however, if we do not receive consent from enough families to meet the required percentage, we would likely be forced to shift to full remote instruction for students in grades K-12 for the period of time that our region is classified as a yellow, orange or red zone.
We will keep you informed of any developments and plans for state-mandated COVID-19 testing at our schools. Please remember to continue to follow all health and safety precautions to help stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
Dr. Maria Lagana Suttmeier, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools