Dear Parents and Guardians,
The New York State Education Department recently approved a parental right to decline the exam waivers provided by the state to allow students to graduate in June and August 2020 without taking the required examinations (due to the COVID-19 pandemic).
This means that parents and guardians now have the right to refuse these waivers if they do not wish for their child to earn a diploma or CDOS credential in June or August 2020 – and to remain in school for the 2020-21 school year.
- If you would like your child to graduate as scheduled, there is nothing further you need to do at this time (do not complete the enclosed form).
- If you would like your child to remain in school to finish his or her educational program and NOT graduate, you must complete the enclosed form (see below). Please contact Principal LaCasse at email@example.com or call 518-828-4360 ext. 3102 first if you intend to submit this form. We want to make sure that parents and guardians fully understand this process and what it means for your child and family. We will also walk you through the required fields if you decide to exercise this right.
If you and your family decide to decline the exam waivers provided for this school year, this means that:
- You cannot change your decision – if you file this form, your child will not graduate and will remain in school next year;
- Your child will not be eligible to graduate until he or she meets the all the graduation exam requirements; and,
- Your child will remain eligible to receive a free public education until the end of the school year in which the child attains age 21 or earns a diploma, whichever shall occur first.
Per state requirements, this letter is being sent to those students who are eligible to graduate because they were unable to complete an exam due to the COVID-19 closures. Please contact us with any questions. Thank you for your attention.
Dr. Maria Lagana Suttmeier, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools